NOMINATIONS FOR THE ANNUAL NALEDI THEATRE AWARDS ANNOUNCED
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
It's time to roll out the red carpet and dust off the black tie, as South Africa stage stars get ready to gather for the 10th Naledi Theatre Awards, supported by auto & general Insurance.
The Naledi Theatre Awards is a premier awards event, and honours those who have made their mark on the stage from January 1 2012 to December 1 2012 – those who have brought theatre lovers the most magical productions, behind the scenes and in the spotlight.
The nominations are in, and those who have been nominated will spend the next few weeks biting their nails as the judges have the tough decision of deciding who the winners in each category are. This year the competition is tougher than ever, with some amazing productions and people involved.
The panel of judges, who typically evaluate more than 50 productions in about 21 categories, bring to the table a wealth of experience, knowledge and passion for the theatre industry. The judges for this year's Naledi awards are: Renos Spanoudes, Helen Heldenmuth, Welcome Msomi, Peter Feldman, Dorianne Alexander, Ferosa Marais, Lance Maron, Rudi Sadler, Mandla Motau, Lali Dlangazele and Carolyn Steyn
Some of the criteria used to evaluate the productions are basic technique, how uniquely South African it is, the entertainment value, how much of a talking point it is, technical excellence and did it have magic?
The nominations are:
Best Production of Musical
- The Phantom of the Opera - produced by Pieter Toerien and The Really Useful Group Limited. Directed by Harold Prince.
- Jack and The Beanstalk - produced by BankservAfrica and Joburg Theatre. Directed by Janice Honeyman.
- Cabaret - produced by Pieter Toerien and KickstArt Production. Directed by Steven Stead.
- David Kramer and Taliep Petersen's Kat and the Kings - produced by the Fugard Theatre, Eric Abraham and Renaye Kramer. Written by David Kramer and Taliep Petersen. Directed by David Kramer.
- Dirty Dancing - produced by Pieter Toerien, Hazel Feldman, Karl Sydow and Joye Entertainment in association with Lionsgate and Magic Hour Productions. Directed by Sarah Tipple.
Best Production of a Play
- Red - KickstArt in association NAF and Old Mutual Theatre on the Square. Directed by Steven Stead.
- Rhetorical - produced by SA State Theatre, written by Paul Grootboom and Aubrey Sekhabi. Directed by Paul Grootboom.
- Abnormal Loads - produced by the Market Theatre in association with Standard Bank and Think Theatre, written by Neil Coppen. Directed by Neil Coppen and Janna Ramos-Violante.
- The Line - produced by the Market Theatre in association with Drama For Life. Written and directed by Gina Shmukler.
- Sunday Morning - produced Daphne Kuhn and Old Mutual Theatre on the Square. Written by Nick Warren and directed by Jenine Collocott.
- The Miser - produced by The Market Theatre and The Fortune Cookie Theatre Company. Directed by Sylvaine Strike.
Best New South African Script
- Abnormal Loads - Neil Coppen. Produced by The Market Theatre in association with Standard Bank and Think Theatre. Directed by Neil Coppen and Janna Ramos-Violante.
- The Line -Gina Shmukler. Produced by The Market Theatre in association with Drama For Life. Directed by Gina Shmukler.
- Sunday Morning - Nick Warren. Produced by Daphne Kuhn and Old Mutual Theatre on the Square. Directed by Jenine Collocott.
- The Blue Iris - Athol Fugard. Produced by The Market Theatre and The Fugard Theatre in association with Mannie Manim. Directed by Janice Honeyman.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Lead Role (Play)
- Siyabonga Thwala - The Suitcase
- Elton Landrew - Boesman and Lena
- Michael Richard – Red
- Graham Weir - The Blue Iris
- James Cuningham - Sunday Morning
- Lionel Newton - The Miser
Best Performance by an Actress in a Lead Role (Play)
- Jenna Dunster - Abnormal Loads
- Xolile Tshabalala - The Suitcase
- Quanita Adams - Boesman and Lena
- Khutjo Green - The Line
- Lee-Ann van Rooi - The Blue Iris
- Sandra Prinsloo – Janneman
- Fiona Ramsay – Delirium
Best Performance in a Musical (Male)
- Jonathan Roxmouth - The Phantom of the Opera
- Sascha Halbhuber – Cabaret
- Bryan Hiles – Cabaret
- Jonathan Roxmouth - Noel and Gertie.
- Zakariyah Toerien - Kat and the Kings.
Best Performance in a Musical (Female)
- Hanlee Louw - The Phantom of the Opera
- Samantha Peo – Cabaret
- Bryony Whitfield - Dirty Dancing
- Elizca Coetzer - Chef, Rattle and Roll
- Mila de Biaggi - Dirty Dancing
Best Director of a Play or Musical
- Neil Coppen and Janna Ramos-Violante - Abnormal Loads
- Steven Stead – Red
- Nicola Hanekom - Trilogy: Lot/Betésda/Babbel
- Jenine Collocott - Sunday Morning
- Sylvaine Strike - The Miser
- Paul Grootboom – Rhetorical
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role / Cameo
- Peter Court – Cabaret
- Jeremy Richard – Red
- Stain Bam - Trilogy: Lot/Betésda/Babbel
- Fezile Mpela – Delirium
- Atandwa Kani - The Miser
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role / Cameo
- Alison Cassels - Abnormal Loads
- Adrienne Pearce - Mary and the Conqueror
- Charon Williams-Ros - Cabaret
- Fortune Dhlomo - Abnormal Loads
- Patricia Boyer - The Miser
Best Ensemble Production/Cutting Edge
- Delirium - produced by The Market Theatre. Directed by Greg Homann.
- Woza Albert - produced by The Market Theatre by arrangement with DALRO (PTY). Directed by Prince Lamla.
- Trilogy: Lot/Betésda/Babbel - produced by Haas en Kaas in association with the SA State Theatre. Directed by Nicola Hanekom.
- The Miser - produced by Fortune Cookie Theatre Company and Market Theatre. Directed by Sylvaine Strike.
- From The Mouths of Babes - produced by The Market Theatre. Directed by Malcolm Purkey.
Best Musical Director / Score / Arrangement
- Gary Thomas (Score) - Abnormal Loads
- Hugh Masekela (MD) - The Suitcase
- Evan Roberts (MD) - Cabaret
- Naami Gottlieb Liebermann Assisted by Sharon Spiegel-Wagner and Sivan Raphaely (Arrangements) - From The Mouths of Babes
- Louis Zurnamer (MD) - Phantom of the Opera
- Charl-Johan Lingenfelder (MD) - Dirty Dancing
Best Original Choreography (Musical or Play)
- Mongi Mtombeni - Little Foot
- Janine Bennewith - Cabaret
- Nicola Elliott - In the Wings
- Shelley Adriaanzen - Chef, Rattle and Roll
- Loukmaan Adams and Jody Abrahams - Kat and the Kings
Best Performance by Newcomer / Breakthrough (Male/Female)
- Dylan Horley - Somewhere on the Border
- Atandwa Kani - Rhetorical
- Danieyella Rodin - In The Wings
- Amy Trout - Kat and the Kings
- Karabo Oberem - Gingerbreadman 2
- Motlatji Ditodi - The Miser
- Unamarli - directed by Albert Mabena
- The Chosen One - directed by Mxolisi Masilela
- Sello Le Dipogiso - Black Child Productions directed by Thembeni Joni
Best Production of Children Theatre
- Gingerbreadman 2 - The Peoples Theatre
- Goggas! - National Children Theatre
- Annie Jr - National Children theatre
- Jungle Book Kids - The Peoples Theatre
Best Theatre Sound Design / Sound Effects
- Jade Bowers - iHamlet
- Chris Letcher - Little Foot
- Charl-Johan Lingenfelder - The Line
- Braam du Toit - Trilogy: Lot/Betésda/Babbel
- Mark Malherbe - Delirium
Best Theatre Lighting Design
- Tina Le Roux - Abnormal Loads
- Alistair Findlay - Sunday Morning
- Denis Hutchinson - Delirium
- Wilhelm Disbergen - Rhetorical
- Kosie Smit - Somewhere On The Border
Best Costume Design
- Nicola Hanekom - Trilogy: Lot/Betésda/Babbel
- Jemma Kahn - Delirium
- Sarah Roberts - The Miser
- David Kramer and Saul Radomsky - Kat and the Kings
- Ernest Korkie - Lied Van My Hart
Best Theatre Set Design
- Greg King - Red
- Neil Coppen - Abnormal Loads
- Niall Griffin - The Line
- Dicky Longhurst - The Blue Iris
- Denis Hutchinson - Delirium
The Naledi Theatre Awards will take place on March 18 2013 at the Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City. This year's function will be open to the public and will feature a wonderful entertainment line-up and celebrity presenters. A pre-show cocktail and glass of wine is included in ticket price, which range from R50 for students to R200. Tickets are available at www.goldreefcity.co.za.
The Naledi Theatre Award twitter handle is @NalediAwardsSA
« Go Back